Breaking the Ice: Personal Stories on End-of-Life Issues (DVD)
Kōkua Mau produced an award-winning trigger video that is an excellent tool for starting advance care planning conversations. Personal stories from three local families illustrate the importance of advance directives, starting conversations about end-of-life issues and effective pain management during the 8-minute video. Cost: $20/video. Available on DVD (sorry, we are out of the VHS option). It can also be borrowed from the Hawai‘i State Library System on all islands.
Living Your Dying, an inspiring 57-minute (DVD)
Mitsuo Aoki was a semi-retired theologian, minister, college professor and founder of the University of Hawaii’s Department of Religion. For over four decades the Rev. Dr. Aoki had shown others how to experience death not merely as an end, but as a vital, inseparable part of life.
Please spread the word about this extraordinary film! All those who attended the premiere and saw the broadcast were taken on an amazing journey that affirmed life and love in the very real presence of death.
Kōkua Mau is now a distributor for the DVD. Please order the DVD through the Kōkua Mau website using our ORDER FORM.
For more about the DVD, please visit MitsAoki.com
Some of the most important conversations you will ever have
Our video “Some of the most important conversations you will ever have” gives a short 3 minute introduction to Kōkua Mau’s work. It was selected as a winner in the Ananda Fund Hawaii video competition in January 2014.
We officially have a Kōkua Mau YouTube channel!
We need your help: Please visit our YouTube channel and ‘like’ our movies. If you can, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. We need at least 100 subscribers before we can claim a custom URL. With you subscribing, we can hopefully claim /kokuamau instead of /UCidvIRnOS48UVnzPlONi6KA soon.
We are always looking for volunteers to talk about their experiences in a video about conversations, advanced directives or POLST. If you’re so inclined please let us know.
More Kōkua Mau Resources:
Five Wishes® Advance Directive
Five Booklets on End-of-Life Planning and Care (updated 2012)
- Advance Care Planning: Making Choices Known (each booklet has 20 pages.) A workbook to document the kind of care you want if you are unable to make decisions for yourself.
- Planning Ahead: Funeral and Memorial Services. Document your funeral or memorial service preferences ahead of time. Includes tips for working with mortuary or funeral homes.
- Preparing to Say Good-bye: Care for the Dying. Learn about common symptoms experienced by dying people and what you can do to make the dying person more comfortable.
- Death Occurs: What to Do When a Loved One Dies. A guide to help you get through the hours, days, and weeks following a loved one’s death.
- Help for the Bereaved: The Healing Journey. Learn about the common expressions of grief, the healing process, and when to get help.To visit our dedicated five booklet’s page please click here
Note: These links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Kōkua Mau of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation, organization or individual. Kōkua Mau bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.