Palliative Care – Key Resources for Hawai‘i
These resources are provided by Kōkua Mau as a service for our readers in Hawai‘i. Please let us know if you would like a resource added or if information is outdated.
Please also see the other, more focused lists at Palliative Care Resources for Hawaii also compiled by Kōkua Mau.
(A complete list of all hospices in Hawai‘i with addresses)
- Kauai Hospice: 808-245-7277
- Hospice Hawai‘i – Lana‘i: (808) 565-6777 or (808) 649-9655
- Hospice Hawai‘i: 808-533-4310
- Bristol Hospice: 808-536-8012
- Hospice Hawai‘i: 808-924-9255
- Islands Hospice: 808-550-2552
- St. Francis Hospice: 808-547-6500
- Veterans Administration 808-433-7676
All hospice providers offer Community-Based Palliative Care, also known as Supportive or Concurrent Care.
What is Palliative Care?
Palliative care is sometimes referred to as Supportive or Concurrent Care, and provides strong support for individuals and their loved ones with a serious illness or condition, or have complex health issues. It is not the same as hospice care, and individuals using this benefit can continue to receive curative treatments as desired. Comfort-directed services are focused to help people manage the symptoms and stresses of serious illness. Contact your health plan for further details on this beneficial service.
Hospital-based (Inpatient) Palliative Care Programs
- Castle Medical Center: 808-263-5253
- Kaiser Permanente: 808-432-7100
- Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children: 808-983-6090
- Maui Memorial Medical Center, Palliative Care Coordinator:808-442-5801
- North Hawaii Community Hospital : 808-885-4444
- Pali Momi Medical Center (ask for palliative care consult) 808-485-4545
- Straub Hospital and Clinic: (ask for palliative care consult) 808-522-4000
- The Queen’s Medical Center: 808-547-4726
- Wilcox Memorial: 808-245-1523
Community-Based (Outpatient) Palliative Care Programs
- HMSA Case Management Program: toll free 1-844-378-9997 or 808-948-5377
- Humana and UnitedHealthcare: toll free 1-800-851-7110 or 808-532-6989
- Kaiser Permanente: 808-432-8046
- Kōkua Kalihi Valley Home-based Palliative Care Services: 808-791-9410
- Kupu Care (Hospice Hilo): 808-934-2913
- Palliative Medicine Partners (Kaua‘i Hospice): 808-245-7277
- St. Francis Palliative Care: 808-595-7566
- UHA Comfort Care: toll free 1-800-458-4600 #300 or 808-532-4006
Two health plans offer in-home palliative care programs – UHA and HMSA. UHA’s program is called ‘Comfort Care‘ toll free 1-800-458-4600 #300 or 808-532-4006.
‘Supportive Care‘ is HMSA’s palliative care benefit. The goal for this Benefit is to improve the quality of life of patients who have a serious or life-threatening disease. Typical goals of care would be to prevent or treat symptoms of a disease, side effects caused by treatment of a disease, and psychological, social, and spiritual problems related to a disease or its treatment.
Under the supportive care benefit, an HMSA member receives comprehensive clinical and psycho-social support while maintaining their usual care. Typically, supportive care includes skilled nursing, case management, psycho-social support, personal care aid and spiritual support. Additionally, most durable medical equipment and comfort medications related to the supportive care diagnosis are covered. Supportive care providers are available by phone or in-person 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
All hospice providers offer Community-Based Palliative Care, also known as Supportive or Concurrent Care. Contact your preferred hospice directly for more information. See full listing of all Hospice Providers above.
GRIEF & BEREAVEMENT SUPPORT
- Bereavement Network of Hawaii. Click to download Bereavement Support List. (This list is updated by the bereavement network a few time a year and you will always find the latest list here)
- Affordable Casket Outlet 808-833-8811
- Retail Casket Store National store directory w/ 24-hour delivery.
FUNERALS & RELATED SERVICES
- Department of Human Services 808-587-3521
- (DHS) Applications for funeral payment assistance
- Veterans Service Center 1-800-827-1000
- Social Security Administration 1-800-772-1213
- Natural Death Care
MEMORIAL SERVICES PLANNING
(Please use link Funeral Consumer Alliance of Hawai‘i for a complete listing)
- Borthwick Mortuary (808) 522-5200
- Diamond Head Mortuary (808) 735-2872
- Ordenstein’s Hawaiian Memorial Park Mortuary (808) 247-0437
- Hosoi Garden Mortuary (808) 538-3877
- Kukui Mortuary (808) 537-5548
- Leeward Funeral Home (808) 455-1041
- Mililani Downtown Mortuary (808) 538-6207
- Mililani Memorial Park and Mortuary (808) 677-5631
- Nuuanu Mortuary (808) 537-3907
- Ultimate Creation Services of Hawai‘i (808) 528-3441
- Williams Funeral (808) 949-0022
- Woolsey Mortuary Services, Kaneohe, 808-235-3024 & 330-1593
- The Valley of the Temples (808) 239-8811
- National Cremation Society of Hawai‘i (808) 261-9296
- Legacy of Life Hawai’i (808) 599-7630l, Toll free (877) 855-0603
- Lions Eye Bank and Makana Foundation (808) 536-7614
- Willed Body Program, University of Hawai‘i John A Burns School of Medicine (808) 956-5467
- Kōkua Mau – download a free Advance Directive here
- University of Hawai‘i Elder Law Program (808) 956-6544
- Your own lawyer
- Kokua Mau Speakers Bureau (808) 585-9977
- AARP Widowed Persons Service (808) 949-0022
- Executive Office on Aging (EOA) (808) 586-0100
- University of Hawaii Center on Aging (808) 956-5001
Note: These links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Kōkua Mau of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation, organization or individual. Kōkua Mau bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.