What is Palliative Care?
Palliative care is specialized medical care for people with serious illnesses. This type of care is focused on providing patients with relief from the symptoms, pain, and stress of a serious illness – whatever the diagnosis.
The goal is to improve quality of life for both the patient and the family. Palliative care is provided by a team of doctors, nurses, and other specialists who work with a patient’s other doctors to provide an extra layer of support. Palliative care is appropriate at any age and at any stage in a serious illness, and can be provided together with curative treatment.
Definition in 2011 by the Center to Advance Palliative Care (CAPC)
Please view the PDF document entitled “A Vision for Better Care at the End of Life” for more information about palliative care.
PALLIATIVE CARE SERVICES IN HAWAI`I
Hospital-based (Inpatient) Palliative Care Programs
- Castle Medical Center: 808-263-5253
- Kaiser Permanente: 808-432-7100
- Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children: 808-983-6090
- Maui Memorial Medical Center, Palliative Care Coordinator:808-442-5801
- North Hawaii Community Hospital : 808-885-4444
- Pali Momi Medical Center (ask for palliative care consult) 808-485-4545
- Straub Hospital and Clinic: (ask for palliative care consult) 808-522-4000
- The Queen’s Medical Center: 808-547-4726
- Wilcox Memorial 808-245-1523
Community-Based (Outpatient) Palliative Care Programs
- Kaiser Permanente (inpatient and outpatient) 808-432-8046
- HMSA Integrated Case Management Services (ICMS) – 808-948-5711 or 800-365-7665
- Hospice HIlo Kupu Care 808-934-2913
- St. Francis Hospice Palliative Care Consult Service – 808-547-8068
- Kokua Kalihi Valley Home-Based Palliative Care Services 791-9410 (Kalihi Valley residents)
- Hawai‘i Palliative Care, East Hawai‘i Island, 808-969-1733
- Palliative Medicine Partners, Lihu‘e, Kaua‘i (through Kauai hospice) 808-245-7277
- Hospice Hawaii Supportive Care 808-791-8000
- Bristol Hospice Supportive Care 808-536-8012
- St. Francis Supportive Care 808-595-7566
For more information: Palliative Care Resources for Hawai‘i compiled by Kokua Mau
National Web site(s)
Center to Advance Palliative Care: www.getpalliativecare.org