Not cooking advice, but here are 5 great resources to get you started to talk about advance care planning over the holidays, starting with Thanksgiving gatherings. As your loved ones gather from far and wide don’t miss the opportunity to have a real conversation about your wishes for end-of-life care.
1. Starter Kit from The Conversation Project – download the PDF file or visit our website for more information. This easy to follow Kit can get you talking about decision making and following wishes, providing a way to get conversations going before you get to the Advance Directive or POLST. The Starter Kit is also available in Chinese, Korean and Spanish (link on our website).
2. Contribute to Story Corps’ “The great Thanksgiving Listen“. Now in its third year, The Great Thanksgiving Listen has grown from an experimental challenge issued by our founder, Dave Isay, into a vital intergenerational movement. StoryCorps will work with teachers and high school students once again across the country to preserve the voices and stories of an entire generation of Americans over a single holiday weekend.
3. Discuss and Complete an Advance Directive with your loved ones – all the materials are on the KM website. Notice we now have links on each webpage for Advance Directives and POLST for easy and quick access! The documents are available in 10 languages this year!
4. THIS IS FROM 2015 …. Laugh a bit with Pallimed’s compilation of advertisements again designed to get you talking. Remember as you celebrate the holidays, there is no better time to have the conversation.
5. Watch some movies and play some games to get the conversations going. We created a (PDF) handout with a compilation of some suggested key resources.