August 2015: We have exciting news: the 16-page Kokua Mau booklet “A Guide to Advance Care Planning: Making Life Decisions” has been re-printed.
Now available with updated wording, the new booklet reflects 2014 changes to POLST which added APRNs as signers.
A big big mahalo to Mountain-Pacific Quality Health for their generous sponsorship of printing 40,000 copies!
It is our hope that, for instance, every Medicare recipient will have access to the booklet. We encourage you to make good use of this excellent resource and distribute it widely within your network.
Please contact us and let us know how many copies you would like so we can work out how to best get them to you.
This 16-page booklet “A Guide to Advance Care Planning: Making Life Decisions” by Kōkua Mau is designed to help you make informed advance care planning decisions for when you are seriously ill. Many of the ideas and terms explained in this booklet might be new to you but are very common in medical settings and are important for you to know.
Although modern medicine helps many people lead longer and healthier lives, it has limits. Many of us may fear that medical technology could help us to live longer but leave us dependent on others, in pain, and unable to think or make decisions for ourselves.
This booklet list resources and organizations (with phone numbers) you can call. In this booklet you will find answers in plain English about subjects hard to talk about or to address. It talks about questions you and you loved ones might have such as:
- Promoting Better Communication and Shared Decision-Making
- What is Palliative Care?
- What is Hospice Care?
- What is Comfort Care?
- Medical Conditions Associated with Serious Illness
- What is CPR?
- What is Mechanical Ventilation?
- What is Artificial Nutrition and Hydration?
- Other Life-prolonging Treatments
Download Options for the 16 page document (these files are optimized to be read on the screen):
- 2 per page (8-page document, formatted to read on the screen, with page 1 & 2, 3 & 4, etc.)
- One per page (easier to read in handheld devices)
- 2 per page optimized for printing (larger file size 2.1MB). Please note: this is still a file with pages 1 & 2, 3 & 4, just with a higher resolution. This file is not formatted to print as a double sided booklet.
- To print a double sided booklet that is stapled in the middle click here